Here are seven pieces of advice:
1. “After you get your mortgage approval, sit down and make a list of needs, must haves and wishes, work with a realtor who can find you your dream home.” —Denise F.
2. “Work with an agent that is experienced with first time homebuyers. There is a lot to know and navigate. A good agent is essential to making the transaction as smooth as possible.” —Toni M.
3. “Put together a really good Real Estate Agent, Mortgage Broker, Attorney team that will take the time to explain the entire process to their client. If they can explain it; they can do it.” —Ronald S.
4. “Work with a knowledgeable agent who cares about his or her clients, not just dollar signs. See your banking institution 1st. Ask a lot of questions. Consider the location. Hire a reputable home inspector! Arm yourself with knowledge and really think before you leap since it is one of the biggest decisions you will ever make. It is a key in avoiding buyers remorse!” -Cheryl C.
5. “Choose a quality agent, practice self-restraint, look at the quality and condition, not just how pretty it is, know your budget and your comfort level and, for heavens sake, if you are going to listen to everyone else’s opinion besides your agents then they should be with you on every showing, not just the house you want to buy!” -Paul S.
6. “I’m not a realtor but I wish someone would have told me to make practice payments. I jumped from $1500 per month to $2400 per month on my first house. The extra $900 wasn’t the big deal as much as everything else, utilities, yard maintenance, etc. I think making 6 months of increased payments while you are still renting, saving that money and putting it as a down payment would have helped me. I try to tell every person wanting to buy a new home that.” -Darin P.
7. “Pre-approval is step number one. Look at homes in your price range. Nothing worse than falling in love with a home you can’t afford.” -Linda Z.
– See more at: http://blog.century21.com/2014/11/we-asked-you-answered-advice-for-first-time-homeowners/?utm_content=bufferc8bff&utm_medium=social&utm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer#sthash.WkwNIj9z.dpuf